Sunday, February 1, 2009

More syllabus highlights!

Forget the game highlights. Here are syllabus highlights -- commercial-free!
--

Biography
Academic Integrity – yours:
Academic integrity essentially means "intellectual honesty" -- honesty in the use of information, in formulating arguments, and in other activities related to the pursuit of knowledge and understanding. With the Internet, academic honesty, particularly in journalism-related classes, is being pushed to the limits. If you start down the road of plagiarizing others now, it could halt your career before it starts or haunt you throughout your life. In recent times, for example, top journalists have been fired and publicly humiliated because they stole the work of others.
The University’s Academic Integrity Code sets forth standards of academic conduct. It is new this year, so please review it. By registering, you have acknowledged your awareness of the code.
Here are some examples of Academic Code violations that are pertinent to this class:
 You plagiarize by copying others’ work, either unpublished or published in print or on the World Wide Web.
 You make up sources and/or citations.
 You collaborate with others on work that you, alone, agreed to do by enrolling in the course.
 You use work done in another class for this class.
 You fail to attribute material to the proper source.
 You misrepresent yourself in seeking material for the course.
Academic Integrity – mine:
I will do my best to uphold the high scholarly and ethical standards of my discipline. I respect my students and make every effort to foster honest academic conduct and to ensure that my evaluations reflect each student’s true merit. I respect the confidential nature of the relationship between professor and student and never want to exploit, harass or discriminate in my treatment of students. I will defend your academic freedom.
I want to encourage you in your quest for knowledge. I want to maintain a positive atmosphere in which you are free to ask questions. I will adhere to the syllabus as much as possible, offer timely feedback and make myself accessible. I will strive to offer you a look into a unique area of knowledge and experience.
I’ll do my best to be on time.

No comments:

Post a Comment